The Seven Ugly Truths About Fiction Writing
1. The wastepaper basket is not the writer’s best friend. Jack Daniels is.
2. Speaking of drinking, writing is a lot like picking up a girl in a bar: what appeared to be beautiful last night is really hideous in the harsh light of morning.
3. You think you’re clever, funny, smart; we know better.
4. While kids think what you do is cool, your grown-up friends don’t consider it a real profession unless you’re Stephen King or J.K. Rowling.
5. No matter how “cinematic” you envisioned your story, forget about a movie deal unless Julia, Brangelina, Luke or Owen Wilson or Jennifer Aniston falls in love with it.
6. Whatever your idea is, someone else already did it. And much, much better than you.
7. In four months your masterpiece will be on sale by Amazon resellers for $2.99.